I’ve only had crab cakes once before in my entire life; at my best friend’s wedding this past September. They were a broiled version that was amazingly good. Ever since then I’ve been planning on trying to make them, but keep forgetting. Well, today is the day that I finally went to the store in preparation for my long-anticipated meal!
I did some Googling to find a recipe that would match my taste buds, be relatively healthy, and not cause a significant dent in my wallet. I created a mashed-up version for these crab cakes from a few different recipes I discovered in my online search. If you’re cooking for more than one or want larger portions, double or triple the recipe to accommodate your needs!
RECIPE MAKES 5 CRAB CAKES–EACH CRAB CAKE IS ROUGHLY 70 CALORIES.
1 Can Bumble Bee Lump Crab Meat ($1.99)
1 Green Bell Pepper ($.68)
½ Cup White Onion ($.50)
1 Serving Kraft Low Fat Mayonnaise ($.05)
1 Serving Kraft Tartar Sauce ($.17)
1 Serving Mustard ($.01)
1 Serving Egg Substitute or Egg ($.17)
8 Saltine Crackers ($.08)
1 Piece of Wheat Bread ($.09)
1 Tbsp Dried Parsley
¼ Tsp Oregano
½ Tsp Garlic Powder
½ Tsp Onion Powder
½ Tsp Black Pepper
½ Tsp Salt
1 Pinch Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees
- While the oven is heating, crush your saltines into very fine crumbs. You will also need to cut up your slice of wheat bread into very small pieces or place in a food processor to create bread crumbs. Place all created bread crumbs on a small plate.
- Combine the crab meat, green bell pepper, onion, all wet ingredients (the tartar sauce can either be combined or used as a dipping sauce depending on your preference), spices/seasoning, and ¼ of your bread crumbs in a mixing bowl. Stir everything together to evenly mix the ingredients.
- Form small balls of the mixture and place them onto the plate with the bread crumbs. Combine the bread crumbs and balls of mixture to form the crab cakes. Place the plate to the side.
- Lightly coat an oven safe skillet with the oil and heat to medium high heat on your stove top.
- Add the crab cakes and cook for 1 ½ to 2 minutes on each side
- Remove skillet from the stove top and transfer to the oven for 8-12 minutes to finish cooking.
- Serve and enjoy!