RECIPE MAKES TWO STUFFED GREEN BELL PEPPERS–EACH ONE CONTAINS ROUGHLY 405 CALORIES.
1/2 Cup Long Grain Brown Rice ($.17)
2 Green Bell Peppers, Bottoms Trimmed, Cap End Cut Off And Seeds Removed ($.66)
1 Diced Green Bell Pepper ($.33)
2 Chicken Drumsticks, Meat Pulled Off Of The Bone (Or Other Meat/Vegetables) ($.62)
1/4 Tsp Oregano, Cumin, Garlic Powder, Salt, and Black Pepper
Pinch Of Cayenne Pepper
1/4 Mozzarella Cheese ($.28)
Pam Or Other Cooking Spray
- Cook rice according to package directions. Cook meat accordingly, for drumsticks; apply salt and pepper, place on a lightly sprayed cooking tray, cook for 30 minutes on 400 Degrees, reduce to 350 and cook for 20-30 more minutes. Both of these steps can be done earlier in the day and the products stored in your refrigerator until needed.
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees. Trim the bottom of bell peppers to give them a surface to stand up on. Cut off the top of the peppers and remove the seeds on the inside. Place the hollowed peppers onto a baking tray or in a baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam and set aside.
- Dice one green bell pepper and any other vegetables. Turn one of your burners to medium-high heat, place a medium or large sized skillet onto the stove top and spray it with Pam. Saute your diced pepper and other vegetables for 2-3 minutes, just until they begin to soften.
- Add the chicken or other meat and your spices to the skillet, stir to mix the spices evenly and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and cook for 1-2 minutes to warm the rice. Remove the skillet from the heated stovetop and stuff the hollowed green bell peppers with the mixture. Pack the ingredients down with the use of a spoon.
- Place your peppers in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the baking tray and add your mozzarella cheese.
- Put the green bell peppers back into the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately!